It may be accompanied with as little damage and the spread of psoriatic plaques all over the body – it depends on the difficulty of the flow, form of the disease and the stage in which it is located. The disease is characterized by alternating periods of exacerbations and remissions may last for years, if not decades.
Symptoms of nail psoriasis
Despite the fact that nail psoriasis is considered an independent disease, sometimes it manifests itself as a form of vulgar extensive psoriasis or heralds his appearance.
Approximately half of the cases there was psoriasis of the nails and skin.
Symptoms of psoriasis of the nails may vary depending on the affected area. Pathological changes of the root part (matrix) is shown in the length, shape and to some extent the thickness of the nail plate, and pathology of bed (a connecting layer serving as a base plate) affects mainly the thickness. Given these features, the disease may manifest in the following forms:
- The shape of the thimble, which is characterized by bending and clouding of the plate; thus it becomes like a hook. On the stratum corneum appear grooves and deeper point, which is located in a chaotic manner. Interestingly, education on different fingers vary in size, shape and color. The pressure on this "thimble" causes pain;
- When the distortion and violation of the integrity of the nail, which is accompanied by a colour change and excommunication from the base of the finger. Complement this unpleasant picture which came under the nail separating air bubbles and dirt mixed with dead epidermal particles;
- If in connection with damage to capillary vessels under the nails appear bluish, brown or red translucent spots or stripes, and the plate becomes turbid and changes its appearance, say about psoriasis under the nails. In other words, dark spots on nails psoriasis is a sign of subungual hemorrhage. When power effect on the diseased nail is perhaps the appearance of pus.
Of the many other, less common manifestations of the disease note if the nail becomes rough and rough and dull; with painful infiltrates affecting the rollers.
In addition to the physical discomfort and constant pain in combination with itching, psoriasis of the toenails, particularly the nail psoriasis on the hands, more evident, cause the patient a lot of psychological suffering and negative emotions due to poor form of their own limbs. That's what makes millions of people on Earth to think about how to cure psoriasis? How to restore nails to their original look?
It often happens that the diagnosis of psoriasis is complicated by the fact that many of these symptoms are, and other dermatological diseases, in particular some fungal infections. Such confusion may arise, for example, when the body of the patient does not have the characteristic plaques that allow you to definitely judge the psoriasis.
Therefore, nail psoriasis or fungus? How to distinguish between psoriasis of the nail fungus? The main difference lies in the nature of diseases. The fungus is contagious and can easily spread from sick to healthy through direct contact or through the use of common household items. Psoriasis patients in this respect, not threat.
With regard to the visual or other tangible differences, such several. Fungal infections of the scales around the affected nails easily separated from the skin, which is not typical for the initial phase of psoriasis. Next: separation of the nail from the base of psoriasis does not entail the deformation is not accompanied by pain, such as with candidiasis or fungal infections. Another difference of psoriasis – no unpleasant odor characteristic of candidiasis.
Psoriatic lesions can be observed in other skin diseases such as pityriasis versicolor, seborrheic eczema. Moreover, their occurrence is likely and diseases with quite "another story" - hypertension, pulmonary and cardiac insufficiency, diabetes. Nail psoriasis or may also develop on the background of stress, chronic fatigue, emotional turmoil, receiving beta-blocking drugs and other medications.
Of course, accurate diagnosis is the prerogative of the specialist. Very often the presence of one only of external signs. it requires differential diagnosis with use of additional methods of research. For example, bacterial analysis (seeding) scales of the affected areas, direct microscopy.
All of this begs the obvious conclusion: when the first suspicions of psoriasis of the nails of fingers or toes, you need immediate access to a qualified specialist! More information about in whose responsibilities include treatment of psoriasis on the hands or feet – just below.
Causes of psoriasis of the nails
In medical circles psoriasis is one of the most mysterious and not fully understood disease. Despite this, the experts agree that the main reasons that cause attachment to the disease, two:
- Pathological changes in the immune processes that prevent proper cell division and normal fermentation of substances. For this reason there is a failure in development of the epidermis: poorly developed, separated, begin to grow and multiply, which leads to a thickening of the nail surfaces. The body's response to this pathology usually manifests itself by inflammation;
- The genetic factor. Some dermatologists it is inclined to put in the first place. Intrigue of the disease lies in the fact that "bad" heredity may be a long time to make itself felt, and under the influence of provocative factors occur unexpectedly, contributing to the transformation of the indolent phase of disease in acute.
The most powerful instigators of psoriasis are:
- Hormonal disturbances;
- Failures in work of bodies that have a direct impact on the metabolism (liver, thyroid gland, digestive tract and others);
- Deplete the immune system infectious education;
- Mechanical damage to the layers of the dermis;
- Dry and frosty conditions in combination with weakened immunity.
The stage of the disease
In the General case of anomalous symptoms, later developing into psoriasis go through three main stages:
- The first of them is characterized by the clouding of the nail, there appear transverse or longitudinal strips, grooves, spots;
- In the second stage, the nail thickens, changes its color, buying yellowish, gray, brown color. Sometimes this is accompanied by hemorrhagic manifestations with the appearance of bloody streaks, and purulent lesions;
- At the last stage on the album arise oily stains and plaque. Nail completely atrophies and begins to flake off. Often these negative manifestations joined by a variety of bacterial and fungal infections.
How to treat nail psoriasis?
Treatment of nail psoriasis is a long and painstaking process with the use of complex mechanisms. Doctor picks up the schema of systemic therapy taking into account individual features of a specific clinical case.
What influences the choice of treatment plan?
The main determinants of how to treat psoriasis of the nails on the hands and feet:
- The clinical picture of the disease and the stage of its flow;
- The degree of neglect of the disease;
- The likelihood of recurrence;
- The presence of concomitant diseases and related restrictions;
- The individual tolerance of the patient to certain medications.
As a rule, at the initial stages of the disease apply local medications.
Creams and ointments
Mostly drugs containing corticosteroids, which include tools with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect, as well as cream. Wide application was found also special varnishes from nail psoriasis. By the way, some dermatologists even considered it a successful alternative to the complex treatment.
The use of corticosteroids during the risk of nail psoriasis it is prohibited in viral skin diseases, for example, in shingles, and in syphilis, tuberculosis. In addition, their disadvantage are possible side effects such as itching, burning, and redness of the skin.
Medicines containing vitamin D3
Their function consists in the inhibition of abnormal division of psoriatic cells. Here also there are contraindications, for example, disorders of calcium in the body. In addition, they are not recommended for children. As an analogue of possible use of coal tar (tar).
Pencils, ointments, and other medications are United by a common ability to inhibit the cell multiplication and leads to a sustainable weakening of the nail psoriasis.
Different anti-inflammatory and which inhibit the division of the imperfect cell properties .
In addition, moderating effect on dead cells has salicylic acid, facilitating their easy removal, and 1% solution of 5-fluorouracil (either in the form of a cream) is applied under the bandage.
We believe it is necessary to emphasize once again that all these medications have many negative effects, so use them only if a medical appointment is strictly on an individual basis! Self-medication with such drugs can cause irreparable harm and is strictly prohibited!
Drugs used in systemic treatment
The same applies to systemic retinoid, is prescribed only in the most severe cases and is absolutely contraindicated for pregnant women and for liver diseases.
Comprehensive treatment also includes intake of antidepressants which help to reduce the itching and who have positive psychological effects, as well as complexes of vitamins and minerals which consist of selenium, zinc, calcium.
Good effect gives physiotherapy – hemosorption, light therapy, diathermy, photochemotherapy. Very efficient the sanitary-resort treatment, especially if done on the coast.
The use of new biological products
Recent developments special note of monoclonal antibodies that can be combined with cells of the immune system and destroy defective cells psoriatic, modifiers with a selective effect and blockers necrosis factors, which are used in the most severe forms. For some of them clinical trials are still ongoing.
The use of traditional methods
The best result of the treatment of nail psoriasis folk remedies gives when disease is just starting to develop. Home healers have long treated patients with psoriasis with all sorts of baths, ointments, lotions, compresses. Here are a few popular recipes for the treatment of nail psoriasis at home:
- Oatmeal and cornstarch in the amount of two tablespoons, mix in half a liter of warm water and prepared to impose a lotion to the affected areas;
- Calming effect of the bath on the basis of infusions of oak bark, succession, chamomile, sage, cocklebur;
- Time-tested therapy with herbal oils before bedtime should be lubricated with nails olive, sunflower, corn oil;
- Excellent wound-healing effect have aloe and sea buckthorn and agave will help to moisturize the affected area and reduce inflammation;
- Useful gauze bandages from onion pulp applied to the diseased nail.
Treatment of psoriasis of nails at home provides a variety of ways with the use of copper sulphate, soda ash, however, in all cases without consultation of a doctor can not do!
To combat this insidious and hard treatable disease always observe the precautions, in particular:
- Carefully observe hygiene of hands and feet;
- To protect hands and feet from direct contact with chemicals;
- To avoid hypothermia and infections to take care of your own immune system;
- To protect the nail plate from mechanical damage;
- To observe precaution when using manicure implements, not to use artificial materials for nail and therapeutic use of antibacterial varnishes;
- Be especially careful during exacerbations of the disease, paying attention, including, on diet with the exception from the diet of fatty, starchy, sugary foods. The menu should prevail fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, dairy products, liver.
Remember! The worst enemies of therapy are alcohol and tobacco!
Irrevocably psoriasis does not disappear. Even if it seems that signs are not observed, the risk of relapse a continuing basis. Unfortunately, we have to say: psoriasis is a disease that must be tolerated throughout life. Another thing is that adhering to a healthy lifestyle and following medical instructions, a high probability of increasing the duration of periods up to decades!