Psoriasis on hands is a chronic skin disease that is not fully understood, to date little progress in finding effective treatment is not observed. Pathology occurrence of psoriasis on the hands is up to 80% of the total number of this type of disease. Psoriatic spots, or plaques can involve any part of the skin.
On the one hand, psoriasis on hands not life threatening of the patient. However, if you start treatment and bring the disease to severe forms, it can cause severe complications, which is not so harmless. For example, psoriasis can strike the main joints of a person, lead to psoriatic arthritis that affect the musculoskeletal apparatus.
These effects eventually can lead to disability and disability status. To treat psoriasis on the hands is hard enough, nevertheless with quality and comprehensive treatment can significantly increase the period of remission.
What is it? Thanks to scientific research there are many theories on the emergence of this skin disease. However, with full confidence to establish the cause of the disease remains elusive. According to scientific formulation, there are two alleged causes of psoriasis:
- autoimmune form;
- dysfunction of the skin.
Autoimmune form of psoriasis manifests itself in the haphazard development of various substances affecting the skin. The second cause of psoriatic plaque is the maturation of unnecessary cells, respuant healthy tissue. There are some assumptions that psoriasis has a genetic causation.
The main precipitating factors leading to the emergence of the disease are:
- gastrointestinal diseases (especially liver and intestine);
- hormonal ailments (lower level of melatonin, increasing the concentration of growth hormone, prolactin, insulin);
- family history (psoriasis, diagnosed in previous generations);
- allergic reaction of the organism;
- skin diseases (allergic, fungal, etc.);
- trauma to the skin (including insect bites and tattoos);
- stress, the depletion of the nervous system;
- infection (HIV, children have frequent viral respiratory infections);
- effects on the skin of chemically active agents (household chemicals, external medicines, etc.);
- toxic effects on the body (alcohol, Smoking);
- childbirth in women.
Psoriasis on hands entails not only an aesthetic discomfort, but also problems of a physiological nature, as in this disease the probability of atrophy of the small joints, and, consequently, reducing their efficiency and sensitivity.
This insidious disease can affect both the hands and the skin between the fingers and palm. It is important to start treating psoriasis at the initial stage, that is, when the first signs. Otherwise, increases the risk of developing psoriatic arthritis and spread to other parts of the body.
Psoriasis on the hands and its symptoms develop gradually. In the initial stage in the field extension appear papules. They are small and flat, rising on the skin. Education is covered by white scales, which easily fall behind.
For further development of psoriasis on hands is characterized by such features:
- if to tear off scales, then the peeling will be enhanced.
- peels off the film covering papule.
- there are small blood spots (drip bleeding).
- the nodules develop, grow, become large.
- appear plaque.
Psoriasis on the hands can be different: in the form of single spots of different sizes or detachment of the nail until its complete loss. The disease is accompanied by swellings near joints and on them. The skin on the hands dry, it cracks and inflammation
How to treat psoriasis on hands
In the case of psoriasis on hands treatment is comprehensive, as it uses local and General therapy as well as adherence and diet. When prescribing and procedures, the doctor must determine the stage and form of disease to treatment was really effective.
How to treat? Complex treatment includes:
- General treatment – the patient is assigned an antihistamine and anti-anxiety medications, receiving immunomodulators. Also assigned the administration of drugs to enhance immunity, vitamins a, b, C, D.
- Local treatment – the patient is prescribed anti-inflammatory ointment, recurrent drugs. Drugs to improve of the digestive tract. Perhaps the use of corticosteroid ointments.
- Physiotherapy treatment is widely used methods, such as paraffin baths, PUVA therapy, ultraviolet irradiation.
- Therapeutic diet – a mandatory factor in the treatment of psoriasis on the hands, palms, elbows, etc.
In the initial stage is very important without wasting time refer to competent professionals who are familiar with the nature of psoriasis and can provide expert assistance. Patients with this disease often need psycho-emotional adjustment and counseling psychologists. For strain relief are assigned sedatives, slight sedative effect.
Ointment for the treatment of the initial stage
Treatment early stages of psoriasis is gradually changing. Significantly reduced the use of cytostatics and hormonal drugs that have serious side effects. For the relief of acute conditions appoint specialists of aromatic retinoids and hormonal preparations of local action (ointments, gels, sprays).
If non-hormonal drugs are ineffective, the treatment produce hormonal products.
PUVA therapy for psoriasis
PUVA therapy is a photochemotherapeutic treatment of psoriasis. The method is based on the use of UV light and photosensitizers, increasing the skin sensitivity to UV irradiation. For complete cleansing of the skin from the psoriatic plaques required to 20-25 treatment sessions.
PUVA-therapy is used more often with exudative, vulgar forms of psoriasis, including the localization of inflammatory foci in the palms. The method is effective 85-90%.
Prevention of recurrence
The disease tends to progress and to subside, so it is necessary to always remember and adhere to certain preventive measures:
- the skin need to moisturize;
- avoid exposure to chemicals;
- to observe the correct diet, eliminating nicotine and alcohol;
- use vitamin complexes.
It is worth remembering that in psoriasis of the feet is necessary to maintain the balance of moisture, as very dry skin can start to crack, which is the primary source of psoriasis occurs after a skin injury. In addition, the skin of the feet should not be too oily, because it can also worsen the disease.