Nail psoriasis (psoriatic onihodistrofiya) is a form of chronic dermatosis. Sometimes to lose the plate starts long before tabula informibus rash on the body. Pathology may occur as a distinct disease. Let us consider in more detail what is psoriatic onihodistrofiya and how she is treated.
Causes of psoriasis of the nails
Trigger psoriasis on the nails can:
- Genetic predisposition to the disease. Tendency to pathology can be laid at the genetic level
- The failure of the immune system of the body. The result of the disruption of the normal functioning of protective forces.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that is the cause of skin rashes lies in the negative perception of the immunity of epidermis cells. This leads to the fact that significantly increases the growth and division of defective cells dead skin cells of the nails.
In addition to the main causes of the pathology, there are many precipitating factors for the development of psoriatic onychodystrophy:
- infectious disease;
- the human papillomavirus;
- HIV infection;
- abrupt climate change;
- dry, cold weather, lack of ultraviolet rays;
- damage to the nail plates;
- long-term use of antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug group, beta blockers and drugs to normalize blood pressure;
- frequent stress, nervous breakdowns and prolonged emotional stress.
All this weakens the immune system and provokes a negative reaction in the form of an aggressive perception of the own cells of the epidermis and nail plates.
The types and their symptoms
Nail psoriasis has a rich clinical picture. Depending on the peculiarities of manifestation there are several basic types of lesions.
The appearance of signals that propagate across the surface of the nail in the form of points is a common form of psoriasis on the nails. The characteristic indentations appear in a chaotic manner, their size and number may be different. The difference of this form from other forms is that the affected nail looks like a thimble, hence the name.
The nail plate gradually separates from his couch, while inflammation and pain is not. Appears pink ring around the affected area. Onycholysis is able to partially injure the nail or spread across the surface.
Depending on how the nail is separated from the soft tissues, psoriasis this type is:
A distinctive feature of onycholysis', a border around the injured nail and painless detachment of the plate. Initially, people do not attach much importance to this phenomenon, which leads to a worsening of symptoms.
Cause onychomadesis is a considerable impaired growth of the nail, which causes a rapid rejection of the plate with soft tissue. This kind of disease is difficult to treat and the end is not eliminated.
During the development of psoriasis on the nails occurs hemorrhages underneath the plate, which is expressed in two forms:
- spotting of red or pink hue, which manifest themselves through the nails, forming irregular shape, they are called "oil spots" or psoriatic erythema;
- through the thickness of the Horny layer identifies the point or longitudinal stripes of rich red that eventually turn black.
Subungual hemorrhages are formed due to destruction of capillaries, which are under great pressure of blood torn.
In this form of nail psoriasis appears brighter. Plate becomes thickened and eventually curled up and develops cochleari clavum. There are additional signs of nail surface becomes rough, coarse, appear clearly visible irregularities.
Trachyonychia. equally evident as on the hands and feet, significantly distorts the aesthetic appearance of the nails, making them cochleari informibus. Subungual tissue is often not injured, but there are cases when it develops hyperkeratosis.
Psoriasis generalized pustular types can experience a significant compaction and layering of the stratum corneum (onycha), which eventually leads to the destruction and separation of plate from bed. Nail crumbly, increases in size.
Psoriasis of the nails in any form suffer more nails on the toes, they are covered with large grooves, the multiple grooves of different stripes, sometimes rot. There are cases of such manifestations on the hands, but much less frequently.
The photo shows how to look up all possible forms of nail psoriasis on the fingers and toes.
Stages of psoriasis of the nail plate
In his development of nail psoriasis goes through several stages, which have specific characteristics.
- The initial stage. The nail begins to thicken. The plate is covered with small stripes, dots, indentations that resemble a network.
- Stage of deformation of the nail plate. There is a thickening of the stratum corneum, change its color (gray, brown, yellow), the appearance of blood spots and streaks under the nail. Observed purulent discharge from under the inflamed and thickened cuticle.
- Advanced stage. Nails on fingers or toes departed significantly from his bed, the skin around the affected area, and covered with red plaques, nail roller to fester. Everything else can attach to bacterial or fungal infection.
Signs of nail psoriasis is always pronounced in accordance with the stage of passage, so the dermatologist can identify the disease on the external condition of the nail and skin around it.
Psoriasis is not completely cured, but only translates into a stage of remission. The disease tends to relapse, which each time is more difficult detected. If skin pathology is not treated, it will provoke dangerous consequences.
Any form of psoriasis affects the cardiovascular system, which ultimately can lead to myocardial infarction. This dermatosis aggravated by atherosclerosis and inflammatory processes in the body.
Serious consequences psoriasis threatens the emotional and psychological health of the person. Nervous breakdowns, depression and alcohol abuse are frequent companions of patients with psoriasis. The result of these disorders can be diabetes, heart disease, cancer of any localization, worsening of underlying chronic conditions.
In addition to distortion of the nail plate, severe stage of the disease can cause negative disturbances in the General condition of the person:
- jump in body temperature;
- disruptions in the normal absorption of folic acid;
- weakness and constant fatigue.
Diagnosis of nail psoriasis
Most often disease can be diagnosed by the appearance of nails and skin around them. To confirm the diagnosis take a scraping from the affected area (plaque, cuticle).
In addition to the tests, the dermatologist conducts the dierence from psoriasis and paronychia onichi' fungal and infectious nature. To do this, the technician carefully examines the health of the nail to identify the main symptoms of psoriatic onychodystrophy it.
Doctors carried out a comparison of the clinical manifestations of psoriasis and lesions of candidiasis, which is exploring out the pus, the character of localization of the disease on the nails of the hands and feet.
Only by studying all the possible characteristics, and excluding similar symptoms, a dermatologist go to destination therapy.
Methods of treatment at home
To deal with nail psoriasis be complex, applying not only combined medications of traditional medicine, but also folk remedies.
Medical treatment of nail psoriasis
Treatment of psoriatic onychodystrophy starts with local products, which are designed to eliminate the symptoms and manifestations of disease. The initial stage can be treated with special varnishes that slow or stop the development of onychodystrophy. Besides, periungual phalanx is recommended to treat moisturizing gel. Medicines external use, it is recommended to reinforce the vitamins and immunomodulators. In the case of weak effect of local medicines, doctors prescribe systemic medications (injections, tablets).
Treatment can take place at home, but only appoint a doctor, because many medications have contraindications and can harm human health.
Therapy of folk remedies
What if traditional medicine does not produce the desired effect or improvement occurs too slowly? In this case, it is possible to turn to traditional medicine. There are many good recipes that will help enhance the therapeutic action of pharmaceutical drugs and reach remission.
- Medicinal baths. For cooking you will need 30 g of Bay leaves and 2 liters of boiling water. Herb placed in hot water and boil on slow heat for 5-10 minutes, then allow to cool to 37-40 degrees. In the finished broth to put one's hand (foot) for 15-20 minutes. Water treatment can be done daily for 1-2 months.
- Soda compresses. In a glass of warm water dissolve 2 tsp of baking soda. To moisten in the solution a cotton pad and apply to affected nails for 15-20 minutes. The course of treatment is 10-12 sessions (every other day).
- Healing lotions. In 0.5 liters of warm water to mix corn and oatmeal (1 tbsp). The homogeneous slurry was applied to injured areas for half an hour. Therapy lasts as long as you will not see improvement.
Lotions with cornmeal will improve the condition of nails
After the treatment the nails should be thoroughly processed to allow drugs to penetrate deeper into the affected plate. You can use tweezers and nail file.
With the help of folk remedies is possible for a long time to forget not only about onychodystrophy, and psoriasis in General. Most importantly, before beginning any alternative treatment consult a doctor.
Treatment of psoriasis of nails in children
Psoriatic onihodistrofiya the child appears sharper and moved harder, therefore, the appearance of suspicious symptoms should immediately begin treatment.
The first thing you need to pay attention to is food. The diet should exclude:
You need to refrain from eating vegetables and fruits with red pigments (tomatoes, strawberries, cherries).
Using the antihistamines to eliminate severe itching. In addition to these funds, the doctor prescribes medication to improve protective functions of the body.
Apart from drug treatments in the fight against psoriasis nails very good holiday on the Black sea. Children with this dermatological disease is recommended to carry in the sanatorium at least once a year.
How to distinguish a fungus from psoriasis?
Sometimes people confuse the psoriatic lesions of the nail with fungal infection (onychomycosis). Besides, many the question arises, is it possible to get ungual psoriasis? Oh, definitely not. There are a few basic characteristics that help to distinguish psoriasis from fungus.
- The nail plate is under the influence of onychodystrophy completely yellow, and the fungus causes dark spots across the surface.
- Non-infectious pathology provokes the detachment of the nail from the bed, and the fungus just distorts the stratum corneum.
- Onychomycosis on the feet always causes an unpleasant smell, which was absent in the nail psoriasis.
- The fungus infects certain areas. On the feet is the first and the fifth finger. Develops mainly between the phalanges and provoked intertrigo, excessive sweating, failure to comply with hygiene. While psoriatic lesions of the nail can occur from any injury.
- Onychomycosis develops after contact with a sick person, his clothing, animals. The factors in the emergence of nail psoriasis are infectious or viral diseases, strong stress, alcohol abuse.
To accurately determine the disease is capable of a dermatologist after a thorough examination and necessary investigations.
For the treatment of nail psoriasis always consult a dermatologist
Psoriatic onihodistrofiya, like psoriasis in General, it is impossible to cure, but to translate into remission quite real. To extend the periods of calm pathology, you need to adhere to prevention.
For a start, it is recommended to follow a special diet. From the diet it is desirable to exclude all allergens (citrus fruits, eggs, whole milk). Do not consume fatty, fried, salted, smoked, flour products.
It is necessary to carefully monitor the fingers of the hands and feet, adhere to the rules of hygiene, avoid contact with corrosive substances and to prevent injuries.
Timely treatment of infectious diseases also helps prevent unwanted symptoms of psoriasis.
The defeat of the nail plate with further exfoliation from bed is one of the forms of psoriasis. The disease has vivid symptoms, so should not be ignored. The running stages are difficult to treat and provoke dangerous consequences. That's why it's so important to take timely measures to eliminate the unpleasant manifestations.